This dish is a mixture of western and Arabian chicken roasts. Chicken roast are very popular in both these places in my opinion. For a person like me who has spent so many years living in the U.A.E it was not very difficult to get inspired by the chicken roasts the Arabs make its so juice and succulent that one person who is passionate about food can maybe even eat two whole chickens at one time. I remember us having a lot of memories for these roasts. The English roasts are usually with less salt and more sweet in them where as the Arab roasts are very much salty. This roasts good quality is that it gives you both flavours and variety when you serve. Because you can serve it just with any boiled vegetables and it'll taste as good as it would with pitta bread and homous.
- Whole chicken with skin
- 1 Glass orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 or two whole garlics according to your liking of the garlic.
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- Rub a little salt on the chicken and then fry it in the pan /pot or frying pan any kind of pot will do with enough space to move it about.
- Fry the chicken till its light brown .
- Cut the whole garlic in half without removing the skin.
- Place the garlic in the baking dish and once the chicken is fried place it in the baking dish over the garlics and add a little oil from the frying pan.
- Now add the orange and lemon juices and pepper,brown sugar and mix well before adding to the chicken.
- Bake it covered with foil for about 2-3 hours if the chicken was frozen ..if fresh about 1 -2 hours are fine .
- Once you think the chicken is well cooked take it out and place it on the serving dish and put your baking dish on the stove and on high heat cook it till the liquid feels caramelized.
- During this process with a wooden spoon or spatula press the garlic and it will separate from its skin very easily, take out the skin and throw, mix it well with the liquid juices to make a really thick caramelised sauce then pour it over the chicken.
Its Great for serving kids and dinner time because they love anything that's sweet and love to squeeze some lemon on it. Serve with mashed potato and peas or anything green is one way of having this chicken and the other is serve it with fresh salad,with lots of fresh flat leaf parsley,humous,pitta bread, mutabal and you'll feel like you're sitting in Dubai or some Arabian city. hope you like it and enjoy making it...:)