I love tarts but find it really hard to find time to make short crust pastry and than bake it and so on. With kids around one needs to find easy options out for meals.Therefore a few years back on my husbands birthday I came up with the idea of making the base with bread (as we say it in Urdu double roti). Since then I've made these and people have loved having them. This one is yet again a simple and easy recipe to impress your guests or family. These serve individuals rather one large tart. If making for a dinner party of more than 10 people start making the bread bases earlier on. These take about 45 Min's to make including the making of tarts if making 12 servings. The filling of the tarts is very vegetarian but if you would like to try adding shredded chicken , mince meat ,anchovies or just tuna to it'll be great too, have tried them and they come out as well as these. Without saying anymore ..here's the recipe hope you enjoy it...:)
- 1 Red bell pepper (capsicum)medium
- 1 Green bell pepper (capsicum)medium
- 1 Punnet mushrooms
- Mozzarella cheese
- Unsalted Butter
- 1 Medium sliced bread
- 2 Cups milk
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven at 190 deg
- Grease your muffin's tray with butter.
- Prepare you vegetables first, cut mushrooms in thin slices,cut bell peppers in small cubes.
- If you're adding any kind of pre-cooked meat add to the pan first then add your vegetables.
- Now just saute both in olive oil don't cook it or it won't be crunchy when you take it out of the oven.
- Now add salt and pepper,other wise your mushrooms will leave water.
- Cut the corners of the bread slices.
- Put butter on both sides of the bread.
- In a big bowl pour milk in and dip you bread slices in it just enough to make them wet, don't soak them or leave them in they will become too soggy and break.
- As soon as you dip them place them in the already greased muffin tray don't worry too much about the shape as long as its creating cavity for the filling.
- Once that is done place them in the oven for just about 20 Min's, checking every 5 Min's.
- When its light golden in colour take the tray out of the oven and add your filling and some shredded cheese on top you can avoid the cheese if you like for health reasons or just like it fat free.
- place the tray back in the oven for 5-8 Min's until or until you see the cheese melted and browned a little.