As a child and as a grown up I've been a fan or fruits and chocolate equally. As a child i used to say to Mumma quite often can we not just have fruits rather having cooked food and she would laugh at me, now as a grown up I know that the obvious answer was no and why it was no. But i still can't understand why do we always have to cook food rather why not enjoy the raw food God has made for us meaning fruits and vegetables. The more raw fruits and vegetables we eat in the world the more obesity and health problems will disappear in my opinion. Any how i have seen this particular way of having strawberries quite often on the television but to have all kinds of fruits coated never since our kids love both i thought will give it a try. It turned out that kids fell in love the fruits that they did not or were not interested before. We tried red apples,banana's,strawberries we even tried canned peaches and pineapples. I think its a great combination of two of my favorite ingredients. These chocolate coated fruits can be used for cake decorations or just on their on in a party or just as a snack for kids and yourself.
- 100g Milk chocolate(you can use unsweetened/semi sweet cooking chocolate also)
- Fruits (can use any fruits but pineapple,banana's and strawberries work the best)
- Grease proof paper
- A glass bowl
- A small pan
- Add water to it and bring to almost the stage of boiling.
- Remove from the heat now place the glass bowl in the warmed water .
- Leave the chocolate in the bowl in the water for about 2-3 Min's.
- Mix with a spatula gradually the chocolate will all melt giving you a liquid form.
- While the chocolate is melting prepare your fruits.
- If using pineapple use fresh ones they work better than the canned ones.
- Lay a sheet of grease proof paper on your counter or wire cooling rack.
- Now very carefully dip the fruits in the chocolate, and place them on the sheet of grease proof paper to cool down.
- When its cooled down or hardened on the outside serve and enjoy.
100 g of chocolate is just enough for one banana and a punnet of strawberries of 300g. You can increase the amount of chocolate and fruits if you have more people to serve, or needed for decoration. i like to stick to basic amounts because its quite a lot for us. The simplicity and elegance of this dish just pulls me towards itself . Its simple, yet so elegant that you can create so much design on a cake using your creativity. I hope you will give this a try and that your kids will fall in love with it. I'm sure they will be ever so ready to help you make this for them. Have fun....enjoy..:)